Friday, July 31, 2009

Starting Up Is Hard To Do...


Everything for the new mind reading act is starting to come together very nicely. I’ve broken it down so I can do 5 minutes, 8 minutes and 20 minutes. And if I put it all together, I can have an easy 25 to 30 minute show. Easy as in time – nothing easy as far as technique. It is, after all, mind reading. Now in addition to the act itself, I’ve created a new “Seth Everett” logo, which I managed to work out and strangely LOVE. I say “strangely” because the last few I’ve had I wasn’t exactly fond of. They served their purpose and now, this one, I’m excited to display. The good folks at CBM Photography Studios gave me some GREAT looking headshots, which I’ll be using to promote, and soon, I’ll have a poster I’ll be using for postcards and such. The poster I’m really looking forward to. I figured out a way to design it so that I have a few of my loves on there without being too obvious. It’s the overall tone that I love. Once all of that gets done, then it’s time to hit the road. I’ve managed to secure a handful of open shows and a couple of paying gigs, which I am totally stoked for. And the best part of it all? It all fits in a briefcase. So now my entire act is “commando”. It can go wherever I go without any size limitations. My first show will be at the end of September which will give me time to re-write a few pieces (though, I’m ALWAYS re-writing), make sure all the blocking is taken care of and give me time to find a proper sound system. Since I’m always using my hands, it’s hard to do this with a traditional hand held mic. I’ll be using my own amplifier and will have the ability to use the “Garth Brooks” type of mic and have a hand held for back up. The entire system will also have the ability to play music, which I haven’t seen too many mentalists use, which always puzzled me. When I decided to use music, I could only think of one song that is entirely creepy without being overbearing. It’s on a loop and will play quietly through the entire act. The system will run about $300.00, which isn’t a lot considering, but it’s still $300.00… so if anyone out there loves me… I also have a small program should the venue require it and I have some pitch books to sell at the end if anyone is so inclined. Now, why the END of September? Like I said, I still have a few things left to take care of and my youngest sister is getting married in the beginning of September, so the end is absolute best. OH! And best of all, my website should be up by then, full of videos, pictures, testimonials and cool swag for you to buy!